As we approach World Mental Health Day, October 10th, it's important to remember that our mental health is just as important as our physical health. In fact, mental health affects how we think, feel, and act, impacts our relationships and overall quality of life. At times, life can be overwhelming, stressful, and challenging, and it's important to prioritize our mental wellness and well-being.
As an organization, we strongly believe in Wellness with Purpose, and that is why we partnered with I=Change, an online non-profit platform that allows us to donate $1 to select causes and initiatives such as Beyond Blue, an Australian non-profit that works to raise awareness around anxiety, depression and suicide prevention, and reduce the stigma surrounding these issues while encourage people to seek support when needed.
In honor of World Mental Health Day we are doubling down our donation from $1 to $2 from October 5-10th when you select Beyond Blue at checkout.
Why did we choose Beyond Blue?
Did you know that approximately two million Australians suffer from anxiety, and about one million individuals suffer from depression? This is a staggering figure, and it highlights the urgency of addressing mental health issues.
Sadly, eight Australians take their lives every day, which is a tragic reminder of how vital it is to seek support when we need it. Beyond Blue provides support to all Australians by enabling them to speak to a trained counselor any time they need assistance. Their mental health professionals listen, provide appropriate advice and counseling, and direct individuals to the right resources for receiving support. The cost to provide one phone call is $48.
What does Wellness with Purpose mean?
As a company, we are proud to use our platform for positive change and to open up conversations around self-care, wellness, and seeking support. We believe that everyone should have access to support when they need it most.
We also want to highlight the science behind the gut-brain connection, which suggests that our gut health can significantly impact our mental health. By making positive changes to our diet and lifestyle habits, we can improve our gut health and potentially boost our mental health too.
Creating a Plan for Wellness
Unfortunately, despite awareness campaigns and increased visibility, mental health is often still stigmatized, making it challenging to seek help. However, creating a solid plan for mental health and wellness can go a long way in promoting good mental health.
Recognizing the signs, prioritizing self-care, making lifestyle changes, seeking support, and finding a support system can all play a role in promoting good mental health. Your wellness plan should be flexible, personal, and adaptable. It is important to set realistic goals and work toward them. We encourage everyone to prioritize their mental wellness, remember to take breaks when needed, practice relaxation techniques, and seek help when needed.
1. Recognize the Signs: One of the first steps in taking care of our mental health is recognizing when things may not be going as well as we would like. Emotional or behavioral changes, sleep problems, a loss of interest in things you normally enjoy, a sense of hopelessness, or other changes could indicate that it's time to seek support. Recognizing these signs is a vital step in taking care of your mental health.
2. Prioritize Self-Care: Self-care is essential in maintaining good mental health. You can prioritize self-care by paying attention to your physical needs – making sure you get enough sleep, staying active, nourishing your body, and staying hydrated. You can also promote your mental health by engaging in activities that you genuinely enjoy, connecting with friends and family, practicing relaxation techniques, and taking breaks when you need them.
3. Lifestyle Changes: Positive lifestyle changes to our daily lives can play a huge role in improving our minds and bodies. One way to do this is by eating a healthy, balanced diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber. This type of diet can help improve the diversity of our gut microbiome, which is key to maintaining good mental health. Science has shown the important relationship between the gut and the brain, and the vital role gut health plays in regulating our mood and anxiety levels as well as boosting our immune and cognitive functions. Additionally, making time for regular exercise can help reduce stress levels, which has been shown to be beneficial for our gut microbiome and, consequently, our mental health.
4. Seek Support: If you recognize symptoms of mental health concerns, it’s important to seek professional support. This could mean speaking to a clinical psychologist or counselor, a social worker, or psychiatric nurse, among other qualified caregivers. Mental health concerns should be treated with the same care as any other physical ailment, and there is nothing wrong with asking for help.
5. Find a Support System: Talking to a friend, family member, or colleague who is open-minded and non-judgmental can be an excellent way to find emotional support. You don't have to face mental health challenges alone, and finding a support system can help you feel heard, understood and valued.
Taking care of our mental health is a vital part of achieving overall wellness. We urge you to join us in supporting mental health initiatives by pledging to look after your mental health and encouraging others to do the same. Together, we can make a real difference and help to alleviate the stigma around mental health.
If you or someone you know is dealing with mental health issues please seek help or reach out to Beyond Blue for additional support.